1 Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Brighton and Sussex Medical School (BSMS), Brighton, UK.
2 Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Brighton and Sussex University Hospital (BSUH) NHS Trust, Brighton, UK.
3 Cambridge Liver Unit, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cambridge, UK.
4 Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Greater Glasgow and Clyde Hospitals NHS Trust, Scotland.
5 Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, Hull, UK.
6 School of Health and Life Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, Scotland.
7 Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Grampian Hospitals NHS Trust, Scotland.
8 Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, GIG CYMRU NHS Wales, Wales.
9 National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Nottingham BioMedical Research Unit, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust and the University of Nottingham, UK.
Direct-acting antivirals (DAAs) have revolutionised the management of chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. We describe UK real-world DAA experience. Individuals commencing HCV treatment containing a DAA regimen (Mar 2014-Nov 2016), participating in the National HCV Research UK (HCVRUK) Cohort Study were recruited from 33 UK HCV centers. The data were prospectively entered at sites onto a centralised database. The data were reported as median (Q1-Q3). Of the 1448 treated patients, 1054 (73%) were males, the median age being 54 years (47-60), 900 (62%) being genotype 1 and 455 (31%) genotype 3. The majority, 887 (61%) had cirrhosis, and 590 (41%) were treatment-experienced. DAA regimens utilised: genotype1 sofosbuvir (SOF)/Ledipasvir/±Ribavirin (625/900, 69%) and Ombitasvir/Paritaprevir/Dasabuvir/±RBV (220/900, 24%), and in genotype 3 SOF/Daclatasvir + RBV (256/455, 56%) and SOF/pegylated interferon/RBV (157/455, 35%). Overall, 1321 (91%) achieved sustained virological response (SVR12), genotype 1 vs 3, 93% vs 87%, P < .001. Prior treatment, presence of cirrhosis and treatment regimen did not impact SVR12. Predictors of treatment failure were genotype 3 infection, OR, 2.015 (95% CI: 1.279-3.176, P = .003), and male sex, OR, 1.878 (95% CI: 1.071-3.291, P = .028). Of those with hepatic decompensation at baseline (n = 39), 51% (n = 20) recompensated post-treatment, lower baseline serum creatinine being associated with recompensation (P = .029). There were two liver-related deaths, both having decompensated disease. This real-world UK data, comprising of a predominantly cirrhotic HCV genotype 1/3 cohort, confirms DAA efficacy with an overall 91% SVR12, with 51% recompensating post-treatment. Genotype 3 infection was a predictor of treatment failure.